Why should I have my teeth straightened at the Eyes & Smiles North London Clinic?
- Improves the appearance of your teeth, smile and your facial structure
- Reduces the risk of trauma or injury with protruding teeth especially in teenagers.
- Makes it easier to keep your teeth clean and stops food getting caught between your teeth.
- Helps prevent gum disease and tooth decay and therefore prevents premature loss of teeth
- Becomes easier to bite and chew food.
- Improved force distribution and reduces wear on the teeth.
- Occasional improvements in Speech
- Prevents extra stress on the chewing muscles that could lead to headaches, TMJ syndrome and neck, shoulder and back pain.
- Teeth that are crooked or not in the right place can also detract from one's appearance.
How do I Know if I Need Orthodontics?
Our Dentists at Eyes and Smiles in New Southgate N11 can determine whether you can benefit from orthodontics. Based on diagnostic tools that include a full medical and dental health history, a clinical examination, plaster models of your teeth, and special X-rays and photographs, we can decide whether orthodontics are recommended, and develop a treatment plan that's right for you.
How Does Orthodontic Treatment Work?
At Eyes & Smiles Dental Clinic Arnos Grove we provide fixed and removable braces. FIxed and removable braces can help move teeth, retrain muscles and affect the growth of the jaws. These appliances work by placing gentle pressure on the teeth and jaws. The severity of your problem will determine which orthodontic approach is likely to be the most effective.
There are two phases in braces treatment at Eyes & Smiles Dental Clinic Barnet. In the more active phase the braces are in place to properly move the teeth into proper alignment while correcting the bite in the process. The second stage called the retention phase is when a retainer is fitted to keep the teeth in the longer term within their new positions.
Active Stage - Active treatment involves visiting on a regular basis for adjustments and following specific treatment requirements to ensure successful treatment.
Retention Stage - When treatment is completed, the braces and/or appliances are removed and a new appliance is made. These retainers are removable or fixed, and will help to maintain the changes made to your teeth if worn as instructed.
Are there any risks?
Even for an adult there are not many risks associated with orthodontic treatment. In rare situations some patients may have find they are allergic to the latex and metal used in braces. If you have pre-existing periodontal (gum) disease you may have a higher risk of encountering problems throughout orthodontic treatment because the gums and their supporting bone are more likely to break down causing the loosening of and possible teeth loss.
The easy solution to this is to treat the gum disease before orthodontic treatment commences. Your Eyes & Smiles Finchley Clinic will discuss any other risks with you in more detail if applicable.
Does it hurt?
Pain is minimal with adult braces. At Eyes & Smiles Dental Clinic Friern Barnet we are always here to help and reassure you about any pain following braces treatment. There are some people who are afraid that pain from braces treatment may be destructive but in reality there is only some minor discomfort in the first day or two. After that the mouth usually adapts to the presence of a foreign object.
What type of braces can you get?
You can get fixed or removable braces at Eyes & Smiles Dental Clinic Southgate.
- Fixed Braces — the most common fixed appliances, braces consist of bands, wires and/or brackets. Bands are fixed around teeth and used as anchors for the appliance, while brackets are most often bonded to the front of the teeth. Arch wires are passed through the brackets and attached to the bands. Tightening the arch wire therefore gradually moves the teeth to their proper position. Today's braces are smaller, lighter and show far less metal than in the past. They come in bright colours for kids as well as clear styles preferred by many adults.
- Removable Aligners — Virtually Invisible clear braces are an alternative to traditional braces for adults, serial aligners are used to move teeth in the same way that fixed appliances work, only without metal wires and brackets. Aligners are virtually invisible and are removed for eating, brushing and flossing.
How long does treatment take?
Treatment at Eyes & Smiles Dental Clinic North London can be completed in as little as 2 months for simple tooth corrections and up to 2 years for more crowded teeth.
How much does teeth straightening cost?
We have several orthodontic options at Eyes & Smiles Southgate based on your Teeth Straightening needs and preferences. Full Invisalign® or ceramic fixed braces for upper and lower jaws costs £3500. For short term orthodontic treatment where a simpler treatment is possible, the treatment can start at £1800.
If you would like us to give you an accurate quote please call to book in for an orthodontic consultation
Can I get my teeth straightened on the NHS?
If you are under 18, then it might be possible once teeth have been assessed by an NHS orthodontist. For adults there is no provision in place for adult NHS braces. If you would like a second opinion a referral can be made.
What age can I have braces?
There is no age limit with braces, and are becoming more popular with adults with the introduction of clear braces, as well as removable braces.
As teeth have a tendency to move throughout life, we have an open door policy and are delighted to welcome you at any age at Eyes & Smiles Friern Barnet.
What if I had braces before?
Even if you have had braces earlier in your life in a different location we are very happy to see you if the teeth have moved back.
How often do I need to come in?
Depending on what type of orthodontic treatment you have, you may need to come into Eyes & Smiles Dental Clinic Arnos Grove every 4-8 weeks to have braces or attachments adjusted.
What if I have missing teeth or veneers and crowns
Missing teeth can be planned into the orthodontic treatment to either close the gap or maintain the space for a future replacement tooth such as implants. When teeth have crowns, bridges or veneers we have techniques to work around this so that you can still receive orthodontic treatment.