What problems can grinding and clenching of teeth cause?
- Damage to your smile
- Fractured fillings and teeth
- Damage to veneers and crowns
- Failure of dental implants
- Jaw and neck pain
- Increased facial muscle around the jaw.
- Aging process
We will check all of these issues at Eyes & Smiles in North London
Is clenching my teeth unusual?
- Around 30% of us clench our teeth whilst we sleep.
How do I know if I clench my teeth?
Unless you do it consciously, only your partner or your dentist may be able to tell if you clench or grind your teeth, although sometimes it may go untreated for a long period of time. During our Eyes & Smiles Finchley consultation, we will check through some of the key symptoms with you, which include:
- Headaches or jaw/neck pain, especially in the morning.
- Notice of wearing down of your teeth
- Damage to dental restorations without any apparent reason, e.g. crowns or fillings
- Tender temple/ jaw muscles
- Discomfort whilst chewing
- Jaw makes a clicking sound.
What can I do?
You can do a number of things to help reduce clenching which we will discuss with you at Eyes & Smiles New Southgate Friern Barnet:
- Your dentist can make you a nightguard to wear when you sleep
- Decrease stress levels
- Take prescribed antidepressants or muscle relaxants.
What are the benefits of a nightguard?
- Patients in Eyes & Smiles Southgate like the fact that Nightguards are a non-invasive treatment. It is something worn on the teeth at night and will reduce the tensing of jaw muscles and reduce the risk of damaging your teeth further.
Why do patients at Eyes & Smiles Barnet like to use the Nightguards?
- Low profile
- Tailor made giving a great fit
- A soft inner lining to give added comfort
- Suitable for patients with a deep bite